[BRHSlist] Strange hump on 2-10-4...

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Strange hump on 2-10-4...
From: jkohl <jkohl@nc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:55:45 -0700 (PDT)
Upon my inspection of the pics I posted yesterday myself, I noticed
something strange with 2-10-4 #6323.  The first picture is of it in 1960, so
obviously near the end of it's life.  The first picture I don't have a date
or photographer for it, just that it is at Galesburg.  If someone KNOWS the
date or photographer, I would appreciate it.

http://www.castlegraphics.com, go to Images > Railroad > CB&Q Steam

At any rate, look at the (sand?) domes on top of the locomotive.  In the
earlier shot, the large domes are right next to each other, forward of the
centerline of the loco. In the later shot, they are spaced apart.

When was this mod done, and why?  Add weight to the rear trucks?  Was it
fairly easy to do?

BTW...Pete, Gerald (and others), thanks for all those stories and keep them
coming!  I enjoy hearing about the way it used to be...

Cheers!

Jan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM