Re: [BRHSlist] re: boarding flat cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] re: boarding flat cars
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:33:06 -0700 (PDT)
One the most serious non-fatal accidents that I ever
witnessed involved a flat car being caught "on the
fly". Conductor Curt Newton was in his normal
condition (please refer to Rule "G"). He caught an old
company service flat with loose ties piled on it, on
the yard lead, at Herrin Junction and was going apply
the hand brake and ride it to rest. As he pulled the
drop hand brake staff up, he found it was not
connected to the chain. He jumped off just before the
flat hit a standing hopper. The ties came flying off
and covered him up. If he hadn't been drunk, it would
have killed him. As it was, he ended up in the
hospital and shortly retired.
John

http://calendar.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/8ZCslB/TM