Re: Encyclopedia version of FRA

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Encyclopedia version of FRA
From: "scottnauer" <archives@n...>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 04:23:17 -0000
Jan,

I don't work in the steam shop, but I've heard some of what we've been
dealing with at IRM.

Several years ago there were some boiler failures on a couple of
locomotives. After this happened the FRA stepped in because there
were a number of operators that didn't properly maintain their
locomotives.

What this means (as I understand it): An additional site glass has to
be installed (on the engineers side if I recall correctly) and a
number of changes involving safety appliances and when they must be
tested/replaced etc.

In reality the FRA rules have most likely had less of an impact than
the insurance rates have had on tourist and museum operators. Most
insurance rates for tourist/museum operations have doubled in the past
year and a half.

There will still be steam locomotives running, just a few less
(especially outside museums and the more successful tourist
operations). We had Frisco 1630 running memorial day weekend
(Saturday and Monday).

scott

--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Kohl" <jkohl@n...> wrote:
> That reminds me...can someone explain to me (and others that may be
wondering) the purpose of this Federal mandate for steam locomotives?

> I find it very strange that years after they were really in service
we suddenly have stringent regulations that force many steam
locomotives off the rails. Was it the result of some accident I
didn't hear about? Is it really necessary? Who instituted this
measure? Will this really kill of vintage steam in the US? What is
the actual requirement...and how much does it cost?