RE: [BRHSlist] Brass 2-6-2 R1

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Brass 2-6-2 R1
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 22:38:34 -0700
John --

Besides the differences Ken mentions are the R-2's fatter, straight-top
boiler (vs. the R-1's tapered boiler), larger tender, different dome
positions, etc.

Note also that no R-2s survived past 1930 unmodified. They all were
converted to class G-8 switchers, most by the early 1920s. Now, as you
probably know, Oriental Ltd. imported a G-8 about 15 years ago, and you can
still find one for not too much money. That plus an R-1 would give you a
much better starting point for "cross-kitting" an authentic looking R-2.
You'd have to replace the G-8's 52" drivers with your R-1's 64-inchers,
remove the center sand dome, rebuild a Belpaire firebox (the R-2s' original
Belpaires were replaced with radial stay fireboxes during rebuilding), add
pilot and trailing trucks, and ditz with a bunch of other details. An
interesting project, and certainly possible for someone who really wants an
R-2 (and is handy with a torch). But what a lotta work! And you STILL don't
end up with an engine that existed during your time frame.

Me, I'm a partisan of the alternate-universe approach, tempered by some
sort of plausibility test. Maybe your railroad could have a bridge with
weight restrictions. Or maybe, like Ken, you can have an "historical train"
on your line (historic too, given that it was a revolutionary engine -- the
first prairie; call it the F.A. Delano Special). If you really want an R-1,
follow your heart and use your imagination.

Jonathan

-------