RE: [BRHSlist] Brass 2-6-2 R1

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Brass 2-6-2 R1
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 15:46:11 -0700
John --

Very interesting point. I recall being surprised at first when I got my NPP
R1 and discovered that the trailing truck didn't swivel (although there's
some play, which I guess helps). Then I figured, ... well, that's how it
was on the prototype, too (so, Terry, the model is authentic even in that
respect!!).

But I hadn't considered the full implications for the prototype running on
light track. Checking plans and data in Corbin & Kerka, I see the rigid
wheelbase on the R1s (220") was greater than that on the D4 consolidations
(188"), and the R2s' wheelbase was still longer (235"). That could have
forclosed much branchline service for these early prairies and doomed them
to early retirement or conversion to 0-6-0s.

On the other hand, the K2s had almost the same rigid wheelbase (119.5") as
the R1s, although they were lighter and therefore probably less damaging to
the rails. I can't find the reference, but I seem to remember reading that
some of the Atlantics also were built with non-swiveling trailing trucks.
True? If so, they would have had rigid wheelbases ranging from about 180"
to 186" -- almost as long as the D4s, and some of them were nearly as heavy
(e.g., the P3Cs @196,600 lbs. vs. the D4s @202,600 lbs.), and of course
with even heavier loadings on their drivers. Yet, like the ten-wheelers,
these Atlantics had long careers and were important branchline power on the
Q through WWII, with a dozen still on the roster into the 1950s. I'm
guessing the branchlines had heavier rail by then, though.

Jonathan