Re: F Unit numbering schemes?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: F Unit numbering schemes?
From: "rhergy_1" <rhergy_1@y...>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 16:01:10 -0000
-Thanks Lyle. I'm primarily a UP modeler with a sentimental
attachment to the "Q" as a former Lincolnite. With your info the
date of the picture of 164-C I have, now explains why the "C" is
diplayed in large letters on the cab side and also in the # board.
And you're right, the Genisis units do have the A,B,C displayed,
although I did need a magnifying glass to see this.

-- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, Lyle Dowell <slyone@i...> wrote:
> The simple answer is that the earliest units did not have the
markings
> large and visible, just the road number. As they were drawbarred,
they
> were treated as a single locomotive consisting of 4 motors.
However, the
> early units did have 'b', 'c', and 'd' on them, just very small and
> nearly invisible. BTW, the Genesis units do have these small
letters
> representing 'as-delivered' units, you just need a STRONG
magnifier.
> Later on (early fifties?)the units got the larger, clearer letter
> markings. The Burlington Bulletin on graybacks explains quite well
if
> you have access to a copy.
>
> Lyle
>
> > I'm trying to make some sense out of the numbering schemes as
> > applied to the F-units. Some units show the A, B or C
designation on
> > the cab sides and # boards and some do not. If I understand
> > correctly the ABC etc was because the units were permanently
coupled
> > (drawbars). The configuration I'm trying to duplicate is
> > F3A+F3B+F7A, specifically #164.
> >
> > My limited reference material("Q" in color, vol 3 & 4) shows a
pix
> > of F-3A, displaying 164C in the number boards and cab sides. I'm
> > assuming the F-7A would display 164A in a like manner????
> >
> > My confusion comes from some of the consist pix not showing the
> > A,B,C designations, while others do. The units I have (Genisis)
are

||-|\

==