Re: [BRHSlist] F Unit numbering schemes?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] F Unit numbering schemes?
From: Lyle Dowell <slyone@i...>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 22:56:16 -0500
The simple answer is that the earliest units did not have the markings
large and visible, just the road number. As they were drawbarred, they
were treated as a single locomotive consisting of 4 motors. However, the
early units did have 'b', 'c', and 'd' on them, just very small and
nearly invisible. BTW, the Genesis units do have these small letters
representing 'as-delivered' units, you just need a STRONG magnifier.
Later on (early fifties?)the units got the larger, clearer letter
markings. The Burlington Bulletin on graybacks explains quite well if
you have access to a copy.

Lyle

--