F Unit numbering schemes?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: F Unit numbering schemes?
From: "rhergy_1" <rhergy_1@y...>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 03:24:03 -0000
I'm trying to make some sense out of the numbering schemes as
applied to the F-units. Some units show the A, B or C designation on
the cab sides and # boards and some do not. If I understand
correctly the ABC etc was because the units were permanently coupled
(drawbars). The configuration I'm trying to duplicate is
F3A+F3B+F7A, specifically #164.

My limited reference material("Q" in color, vol 3 & 4) shows a pix
of F-3A, displaying 164C in the number boards and cab sides. I'm
assuming the F-7A would display 164A in a like manner????

My confusion comes from some of the consist pix not showing the
A,B,C designations, while others do. The units I have (Genisis) are
currently numbered just 164.

Would the A & C designations on the A unit,cab sides and # boards be
more typical? Perhaps there was some point in time when the A,B,C
designations were discontinued???

Not trying to count rivets here, just trying to find
out the the most normal prototypical practice