Re: News at 11:00...new (old) CB&Q photos, plus the world premier of the

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: News at 11:00...new (old) CB&Q photos, plus the world premier of the CB&Q Waltz! :)
From: "jwestkohl" <jkohl@n...>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 17:58:05 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com, "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...> wrote:

> Jan,

> The signal bridge you are looking at is the Eastbound Control

> Signal at Fairview Avenue. The wrecker is working from the

> West end. In the first views looking down along the track

> towards the wrecker the Main St Depot and platforms and

> the next signal bridge are in the haze.

I've actually taken some more looks at the photos, and discovered a
rather startling revelation that I didn't notice before (although
maybe some of you already had). There are TWO wreckers, one working
from each end of the derailment. I can validate that tonight by
looking up the numbers on the sides of both cranes in my larger
photos.

What I was referring to in the "1965 derailment" reply was this
original post by Leo on Jan 15th.

> > On August 27th 1965 the PRR wrecker was operated by a Mainline
pool crew from

> > Cicero to Fariview Ave. to clear a derailment. Anyone know the
details of why?

> > R.R. Repettos claim account not being called for this service is
the tip that

> > it occurred.

> > Leo

> > P.S. yes he collected.

So this appears to be the Downers Grove-Fairview Ave derailment in
1965, from my picture date and the information you all have said, does
anyone know what caused it? And I don't see a PRR wrecker in any of
the photos, in the end was it not needed? (PRR *does* stand for Penn
RR here, right?)

(In case some of you don't know what this discussion is about, it's
the CBQ derailment photos at http://www.castlegraphics.com)

Cheers!

Jan