Re: [BRHSlist] Serena, Il.

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Serena, Il.
From: "Charles Knudson" <cmac.knudson@v...>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 06:30:59 -0600
I grew up on a farm 3 miles west of Serena and attended 12 years of school in
the Serena schools.

Serena is a typical small farming community located on US 52 in northeast
LaSalle County, On the CB&Q it is south of Sheridan and Burgess Junction and
north of Wedron. In the 1950's - 60' there was a grocery store with a locker
plant, Post Office, Farm Supply grain elevator/feed mill/petroleum sales, cafe,
barber shop, farm implement store, auto repair shop, 2 gas stations, church,
school and rural fire department. I would estimated 50 houses and a population
of 150 to 200. Earlier there had been a bank, but it was closed before 1955. I
don't know much about the earlier history.

The depot was located just north of Route 52 on the west side of the tracks. It
was closed in the early 60's. The part-time station master at the time became a
janitor at the school. The depot has been torn down for some time. A friend of
the family's claims to be the small boy in the photo in Diesels West.

Many of the small business have since closed. The church, school, fire
department, cafe, and grain elevator remain with a population about the same.

My introduction to the Q was watching trains from the school yard and sometimes
the class rooms.