Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Illinois Terminal

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Illinois Terminal
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:57:00 -0600
Val,

Do not know for sure but I doubt it. They were owned by Illinois
Power & Light up to their reorganization and the way I read it the
steam lines were leased to Illinois Terminal when they acquired it.
This would make them separate operations up until 1937. While
the electric lines did make an effort during the late 20's and through
the 30's to enhance their freight capabilities, (for example constructing
freight belt lines around cities with street running), I really can't see
them buying freight cars with an associated company that must have
had their own. The book's roster only covers electric equipment so
it's not much help in that area. Illinois Terminal started out using the
initials "ITC" and switched to IT sometime in the 60's. In 1960 they
registered 1965 cars. During the 70's they caught the "Incentive Per
Diem" bug and even had some all door box cars.

In 1956 eleven railroads bought equal shares in their assets. They were:
B&O,C&EI,CB&Q,C&NW,CRI&P,GM&O,IC,NYC,NKP,& WAB. All they
wanted out of the deal was access to industries and most of the line haul
trackage was abandoned. During the 80's they were absorbed into the
N&W. There must have been some deals made to get the other road's
shares. I know that to this day NS switches some industries in Alton
that are direct BNSF billing and all they get is a contract haulage charge.

Russ