Re: Illinois Terminal

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Illinois Terminal
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 14:55:24 -0600
Val,

It was the "Illinois Traction System". During the late 20's with passenger
revenues already declining they had the foresight to buy up a number of
switching railroads in the East St Louis area, one of which was the
"Illinois Terminal Railroad". When the whole company was reorganized
in 1937 they used that name.

Railroads acquired:

01-Jul-25 St Louis Troy and Eastern RR, (Steam, East St Louis to Troy)
01-Jul-25 St Louis and Illinois Belt RR, (Steam, Edwardsville to Troy Jct)
01-Jan-28 Illinois Terminal RR, (Steam, Edwardsville to Alton)
At the same time a portion of the recently abandoned East St Louis and
Suburban Electric (Electric, converted to steam, O'Fallon to Edgemore)
01-Jan-30 Alton and Eastern RR (Steam, Grafton to Alton to East St Louis)
The above line was part of the abandoned Chicago Peoria and St Louis.

As is with the CB&Q history there were complicated ownerships and leases
involved in all those transactions but the end result was a strong freight
base in the area to the North of East St Louis.

The book "The Lincoln Land Traction" covers all this stuff in detail
although it does not contain either a steam or diesel roster.

When the Florida East Coast defaulted on some of it's equipment trusts
in the late 20's most Railfans know about the 4-8-2's that were scattered
all over North America. Illinois Traction/Illinois Terminal was also able
to cash in on their misfortune and got 5 or 6 almost brand new 0-8-0's.

Russ