Re: Prague, was Re: Lines west depots

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Prague, was Re: Lines west depots
From: Randy Gordon-Gilmore <zephyrus@r...>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 14:23:17 -0800
At 08:45 AM 2/10/2003 -0600, Dale wrote:

> My name is R. Dale Reeves. I rearranged it slightly to D. Rale Reeves
for my
[snip]
> Let's keep the memories warm. Dale

Thanks for the reply, Dale. Boy is my face red though--you did email me
several years ago, and I later found the email in my archives. Even though
we've never met face-to-face, it is nice to have a real name behind the
emails.:-) Especially to me, being way out here in California, though I
did grow up in Lincoln. The funny thing is, that I only became interested
in the Q after I graduated from UN-L and moved out here... I really
appreciate your writings (along with everyone else who contributes to the
list) because they make the railroad a more personal thing, and more than a
historical subject in books and magazines.

I have found a photocopy of a small "saltbox" depot drawing, but I don't
know where it came from. The caption reads:

"The Lincoln offices of CB&Q Lines West in 1908 approved this design for a
standard 20-by-40 foot depot with first-floor combination rooms and
second-story living quarters. Unlike some earlier CB&Q depots which had
exterior stairways to the second floor, occupants of this depot had the
comfort of an interior stairwell. By constructing depots wtih living
quarters located above, the carrier could easily add building additions to
either end should business warrant."

I put a scan of the drawing in the Files area called "saltbox.gif"

I've emailed the Colorado Railroad Museum, who has some original Q
drawings, with with the gif and caption and asked if any of their drawings
match this one. I'll report any results here!

In looking through "Hub of Lines West" carefully, I did see that the
two-storey frame depot does show up more consistently than other styles.
But in looking at the photos more carefully, there were obviously different
sizes of the basic design concept. For my little branch town module, the
20x40 should be a good one.

Best regards,

Randy

zephyrus@r... http://www.prototrains.com