Re: AlClad Paint & Vacuum Plating

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: AlClad Paint & Vacuum Plating
From: "kd 423" <kd423@h...>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 22:40:50 -0600
Bcc:

A couple of thoughts regarding the use of "chrome" plating.

The material used in the vacuum plating process is aluminum. Now everyone is really confused. What I am recommending is a process to SIMULATE stainless steel. But remember that you're after the effect not the replacement. The only thing to represent stainless steel without modification, is stainless steel. But then we would have to know what grade of stainless..........

So aluminum is the metal of choice for vacuum plating (vapor deposition).

I can understand your concerns. Time for the test.

See if you can find one of the older model car (auto) kits that were entirely chrome plated over the entire car. Or find one that has a lot of chrome plating. It is better to test with a larger area instead of a bumper. You need the larger surface area to get the effect of the eggshell finish and how it refracts the light on the plated surface to simulate stainless steel.

Paint Option 1

Take Floquil Crystal Cote and Floquil Flat. Start with a 70/30 mix of the Crystal Cote/Flat and mix to about a 60/40 mix of paint to thinner, to start. I found it took about 70/30 Crystal Cote/Flat to get to the desired effect I like.

Paint Option 2

You can also use Testors mini spray can of lacquer gloss and a Testors mini spray can of lacquer flat. Spray into the cap and use a 60/40 mix of the clear to about a 60/40 mix of paint to thinner, to start.

Airbrush a light wet coat on a hidden area to fine tune the end result.
But keep in mind spray distance, air pressure, number of coats, wetness of coat applied, and airbrush quality all affect the end result. Regardless of the method and paint used, you have to work in increments and keep notes. I wish I could be more specific but I don't have my paint info with me.

These methods work. They are solutions for your desired results. They may not please everyone. It's just like what color gray was used to paint the graybacks? One in a hundred paint schemes appear correct to what I believe the color to have been. But I wouldn't recommend you try something that will not take you within 95% of the desired result. That last 5% is black magic and luck of the modeler.

I did 5 NKP Aeoluses (Aeolus', Aeolusi?). They are bright nickel plate. Option #1 worked perfectly. I have done museum car models that have been a combination of vapor deposition (vacuum plating) and Alclad finishes. The parts turn out exactly as desired.

I think the problem you're having is thinking how bright and unnatural looking the usual model car bumpers are. Or did Tyco forever embed a chrome plated horror image? There is nothing worse than model car chrome. What I am recommending is a premium quality plating process.

I don't know if nickel can be vacuum plated. It probably can, although prohibitively expensive. I have no reason to believe that you would achieve any better results with nickel.

We fire these airbrushes for effect. It's show business. We show what we do. What's right is what's left.

Good luck with your projects.

Randy