Re: [BRHSlist] Twin Zephyr Stops in Prarie du Chein and LaCrosse

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Twin Zephyr Stops in Prarie du Chein and LaCrosse
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 07:29:49 -0600
Cy,

Not exactly perfect here. The South Side Depot in La Crosse was
built because they no longer wanted to go downtown with the
passenger trains. It was an accommodation for those that did not
want to use the North La Crosse Depot.

As long as the passenger trains were going downtown the "Main Line"
was the track directly in front of the North La Crosse Depot that
crossed over the CMStP&P yard. Even to this day the mileposts are
based on that routing.

After the decision was made not to go downtown anymore the
"Passenger Main" still went right in front of the North La Crosse
Depot. About half of that track is still in place, including the fuel
pad that was just to the West of the roundhouse that has turned
out to be a long term pollution problem.

The current "New Main Line", half way between the yard and the
"Passenger Main", was not built until passenger service was
discontinued. At that time the North end of the "Passenger Main"
was removed.

As far as I know the last passenger train to go downtown was a
Family Days excursion pulled by a switch engine with gondolas
fitted with benches. This would have been in '82 or '83, I think.
That was my wife's first train ride. Went all the way to Graf and
came back the Freight Main.

As to Prairie Du Chien the CB&Q depot still exists and is in the same
spot it has always been. Only one stop there. Still used as a section
headquarters and signal maintainer's office. If there any other depots
in that town they must have belonged to the CMStP&P or have been
moved from some other location. Doubt they are CB&Q in origin.

Russ