Re: [BRHSlist] Twin Zephyr Stops in Prarie du Chein and LaCrosse

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Twin Zephyr Stops in Prarie du Chein and LaCrosse
From: cy svobodny <ctsvobodny@y...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:46:26 -0800 (PST)
The La Crosse passenger station after 1959 was on the
main line near the golf course under Grand Dad Bluff.
Now the site of about 6 very expensive homes. The
depot was torn down in 1971 shortly after AMTRAK came
into being. Before '59 the passenger station was
downtown at 2nd & Pearl Streets. It was used into the
mid 60's for something railroad. In 1964 I rode a 23
car special train from St. Paul for the Octoberfest.
For the return the station had a operator handing out
Train Orders and Clearences. Minneapolis also
originated a 20-plus car special on the Q as well as
similar trains on the Milw. Rd. and 5632 was there
too.North La Crosse also had a depot(one of the famous
Burlington Boxes). It was on a run-around track that
by passed the yard & main line. A stone bridge pier
for the track that went downtown still stands where it
crossed over the Milw. Rd. yard & mains(track is gone
and so is the bridge since the late 70's) but the pier
still stands like a guardian of the past. P du C
was a stop for everything per ptt's of the 60's that I
just checked. Rental cars were even avail. CY
--- LaVerne Andreessen <LWAndreessen@f...>

<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=243066.2826855.4185932.1927555/D=egroupweb/S=1706043004:HM/A=1377501/R=0/*http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=b30890113200616000>