Re: [BRHSlist] Interurbans in Q Territory

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Interurbans in Q Territory
From: gary & kathy roe <wabashrr@s...>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 17:57:52 -0600
Bill asked:
I frequently travel MO route 19 southwest of Hannibal. As the road
> travels southwest, there is evidence of a RR line along the north side
> including a depot at Center, MO, and a bridge abutment a little further
> west. Most of the RofW is obliterated so the line has been gone for
> many years. I suspect that it was an interurban line running west from
> Hannibal to ?. Does anybody know the name of the RR, where it went,
> when was it abandon and if a website exists concerning its history?

Then Norm answered:
I think what you're seeing are remnants of a steam short-line, the St. Louis
& Hannibal which ran from Hannibal to Perry. I don't when the St. Louis &
Hannibal was abandoned.

Actually, the Saint Louis & Hannibal ran from Hannibal to a connection with the
Wabash at Gilmore (near Wentzville), then had a branch from New London to
Perry. I don't have my info on it handy; but it was controlled by the Ringling
Bros. Circus at one time. I believe it was abandon right around the start of
WWII.

gary roe