Re: [BRHSlist] Book question

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Book question
From: "Dennis C. Henry" <dchenry@g...>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 13:28:42 -0600
Cc: Ed@p...
Bryan, thanks for your question, and Bill, thanks for your
recommendation. I just ordered the book cited below online at Amazon.com
for $24.47, plus shipping of $3.99.

The definitive book on CUS will be BRHS member Ed DeRouin's, which I
understand will be published during the spring of 2003. I'm very eager to
see it.

Dennis Henry

At 10:26 AM 12/21/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Hello, Bryan.
>
> > Hello everyone. I've been up to Chicago so many
> > times this past week its been crazy, but it got me
> > thinking.
>
> > Are there any books covering passenger stations in
> > Chicago or books concerning railroads around
> > Chicago?
>
> > Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Yes indeed! There is a book titled "Classic American
>Railroad Terminals", written and/or edited by Kevin J.
>Holland. It is published by MBI Publishing Companyt
>and is copyright 2001, so it is as up-to-date as you
>can get.
>
>The Chicago section runs on pp. 66-91, and includes a
>sidebar on Joliet Union Station. The book as a whole
>is crammed with pictures as well as text, and the
>Chicago section has its share. I own the book and am
>ready to start reading the Chicago section. As one
>who is on a first-name basis with both Union Station
>and the old Northwestern Terminal, I am anticipating
>this portion greatly.
>
>The terminals discussed are, in order of appearance:
>Dearborn Terminal, Central Station, Grand Central
>Station, LaSalle Street Station, Joliet Union Station
>in the sidebar, Northwestern Terminal, and last, but
>FAR from least, Chicago Union Station. If some of the
>names don't sound familiar, it is because these
>stations have been long gone.
>
>The book's ISBN is 0-7603-0832-2 and its list price is
>$34.95. I got my copy at Barnes & Noble, but I would
>guess that you could also get it at Waldenbooks or
>Dalton's. Also, if you do get to Chicago and spend
>some time downtown, there is a Keoch & Brentano's --
>or at least there used to be -- on State Street, if I
>remember correctly, where you might also find it.
>
>I hope this is of help to you.
>
>Bill Chambers

Dennis C. Henry, Owner and General Manager
Brass Car Sides Phone: (507) 931-2784
715 South 7th St. e-mail:
dchenry@g...
St. Peter, MN 56082-1435 v-mail: (507) 933-7314
<http://www.brasscarsides.com>http://www.brasscarsides.com
Passenger Car Parts for the Streamliners - Serving the Hobby Since 1978