Re: [BRHSlist] Book question

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Book question
From: Bill Chambers <ace1942us@y...>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:26:14 -0800 (PST)
Hello, Bryan.

> Hello everyone. I've been up to Chicago so many
> times this past week its been crazy, but it got me
> thinking.

> Are there any books covering passenger stations in
> Chicago or books concerning railroads around
> Chicago?

> Any help would be appreciated.

Yes indeed! There is a book titled "Classic American
Railroad Terminals", written and/or edited by Kevin J.
Holland. It is published by MBI Publishing Companyt
and is copyright 2001, so it is as up-to-date as you
can get.

The Chicago section runs on pp. 66-91, and includes a
sidebar on Joliet Union Station. The book as a whole
is crammed with pictures as well as text, and the
Chicago section has its share. I own the book and am
ready to start reading the Chicago section. As one
who is on a first-name basis with both Union Station
and the old Northwestern Terminal, I am anticipating
this portion greatly.

The terminals discussed are, in order of appearance:
Dearborn Terminal, Central Station, Grand Central
Station, LaSalle Street Station, Joliet Union Station
in the sidebar, Northwestern Terminal, and last, but
FAR from least, Chicago Union Station. If some of the
names don't sound familiar, it is because these
stations have been long gone.

The book's ISBN is 0-7603-0832-2 and its list price is
$34.95. I got my copy at Barnes & Noble, but I would
guess that you could also get it at Waldenbooks or
Dalton's. Also, if you do get to Chicago and spend
some time downtown, there is a Keoch & Brentano's --
or at least there used to be -- on State Street, if I
remember correctly, where you might also find it.

I hope this is of help to you.

Bill Chambers