Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Hoppers

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Hoppers
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 18:20:54 -0600
George,

1930 was very early in the hopper car game. At that time most
coal would still be moving in gondolas. Those giant fleets of
hoppers were not built up until the 40's and 50's. The CB&Q
stuck with a fairly standard design of outside braced 55 ton
hopper. During WWII this roster was filled out with another
2000 cars in the 188000-189999 series that are of similar
construction and 1500 composite cars in series 193500-194999.
There were also 1200 more prewar cars in series 192000-193199.

Russ