Re: [BRHSlist] Q passenger cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Q passenger cars
From: "Dennis C. Henry" <dchenry@g...>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 08:40:57 -0600
Hubert,

Thanks for correcting the record on Amtrak's purchase of these two
cars. Yes, it is very sad, indeed, to see distinguished and classic
passenger cars in graveyard conditions.

I had written my reply to Greg Smith with him in mind, so I hope that
nobody took umbrage at my accidental posting to the BRHSlist. Greg was the
manager of the first hobby shop (Hub Hobby in Richfield) that put Brass Car
Sides on the shelves, way back in 1979.

Dennis
At 11:26 PM 11/16/02 -0500, you wrote:
>Dennis,
>
>Amtrak did indeed purchase both Silver View and Silver Vista (former Twin
>Zephyr Vista Dome Parlor Observation cars) after the Amtrak takeover of
>passenger service from BN.
>
>I went to inspect some cars for sale at Amtrak's Beech Grove Shops during the
>late seventies and both View and Vista were in the middle of many cars which
>sat in limbo. I took slides of both cars exteriors, but the weather was gray
>and the shots weren't that great.
>
>I did have a chance to walk thru former TCZ "Silver Wave" which had been
>stipped of windows, fixtures, blower motors, seats, and almost all hardware.
> The painted murals on the bulkhead were still inctact, along with the bare
>stainless steel floor. It was quite sad.
>
>Hubert

Dennis C. Henry, Owner and General Manager
Brass Car Sides Phone: (507) 931-2784
715 South 7th St. e-mail:
dchenry@g...
St. Peter, MN 56082-1435 v-mail: (507) 933-7314
<http://www.brasscarsides.com>http://www.brasscarsides.com
Passenger Car Parts for the Streamliners - Serving the Hobby Since 1978