Re: Q passenger cars

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Q passenger cars
From: "Dennis C. Henry" <dchenry@g...>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:27:03 -0600
Hi, Greg,

It's good to be in touch again. Yes, the car in the LaCrosse photo is a DZ
car. I don't think that Amtrak bought or operated the original TZ dome
parlor obs cars, Silver Vista and Silver View, but I could be wrong about
the occasional run part. In the fall of 1973, I believe, Mary and I were
living in Freeport, Il, but were trackside near LaGrange on the Q, and saw
both Silver Vista and View roar west as deadheads on the end of Amtrak's
San Francisco Zephyr. I believe that they had been bought be a shortline
in Oregon. I never road them myself, since I could only afford coach, and
the domes were the same on top.

I just got a big color flyer from Walthers with pictures of their new
Rivarossi UP-prototype dome obs lounge cars, in both tail-end and mid-train
versions. They also have the UP 44-seat coach. So much for my inventory
of our Nos. 26, 36, and 40. Last spring my Walthers buyer made a special
order of six of the No. 40's, bulk pack, and I told him that Walthers was
probably going to copy them in plastic and put me out of that business. I
was right. My commuter car sales have died since Walthers announced their
C&NW bilevel coach and cab cars, and I even ordered a pair. Some of the
coaches arrived in Milwaukee, but sold out before my backorder was
filled. The cab car is expected 12/22, now. I have six of the Overland
brass Q gallery cars from about a decade ago, with no interiors. Nice,
but I had to take off all the end hoses to add couplers and make them runable.

How's railroading on the Twin Cities and Western?

Dennis

At 05:56 PM 11/16/02 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi Dennis,
>
>Always nice to hear from you and as usual, you have the answer to my
>question. I rode the North Coast Hiawatha quite a bit in the 70's and
>seemed to recall riding one of these cars. After looking at the
>picture however, it looks like a different car. Is this one of the DZ
>cars?

>I took the shot in LaCrosse prior to boarding. We rode a round end
>dome obs down that Amtrak had equipped with a piano. I suppose it was
>one of the old TCZ or CZ cars.
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Greg

Dennis C. Henry, Owner and General Manager
Brass Car Sides Phone: (507) 931-2784
715 South 7th St. e-mail:
dchenry@g...
St. Peter, MN 56082-1435 v-mail: (507) 933-7314
<http://www.brasscarsides.com>http://www.brasscarsides.com
Passenger Car Parts for the Streamliners - Serving the Hobby Since 1978