Re: [BRHSlist] Another dumb question

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Another dumb question
From: "Dennis C. Henry" <dchenry@g...>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:14:34 -0600
Hi, Greg,

The parlor-observation car in the photo is one of the two originally bought
for the Kansas City Zephyr. They were named Silver Terrace and Silver
Tower. You can distinguish them from the two Denver Zephyr dome parlors
(Silver Chateau and Silver Veranda) because the dome area is in the rear
portion of the DZ cars, as was the case for the seven CZ/ARZ dome obs cars.

It was common to see Silver Terrace and Tower on the Twin Zephyrs in the
sixties, and running backwards half the time, and not on the tail
end. Amtrak often used these two cars on the North Coast Hiawatha in the
early years. I rode in one once (backwards) between Dubuque and Chicago on
Amtrak's Blackhawk on the IC (about 1978), frosted lexan windows and
all. I had a lot of choices of seats.