Re: [BRHSlist] Chicago, Burlington and Northern

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Chicago, Burlington and Northern
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:19:16 -0600
Ken,

According to Mr. Overton's excellent history of the CB&Q
The CB&N was a creation of the CB&Q. When it was
incorporated in Illinois in 1883 the CB&Q started out with
one third of it's capital stock and a system where traffic
balances due the CB&Q could be converted into shares
in the CB&N. Thus, the more interline traffic between the
two roads, the more the CB&Q would own.

The concept was to go from Oregon IL to St Paul and
another road was set up in Wisconsin, the "Winona,
Alma and Northern", to start construction surveys before
any construction had even started in Illinois. It is
interesting that one of the first things these companies
did was fill in marshland and start construction on the
current freight yard in North La Crosse. While that was
underway main line construction started at Oregon,
Savanna and from La Crosse North.

It is rather complicated but after construction the CB&Q
started to have difficulties with the CB&N over rates and
traffic policies and they even had to loan it money to keep
it out of receivership.

The actual purchase took place in 1899 and was financed
by a new mortgage on the original CB&Q lines in Illinois.
That transaction brought many of the affiliated roads into
direct ownership and turned pretty much everything East
of the Missouri river into the CB&Q.

Russ