Re: [BRHSlist] Enlightment please

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Enlightment please
From: "Steven Holding" <s.holding@c...>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 00:37:49 -0600
Ben and others

I started as a stock yard labor in the Sheep Yards at Montgomery while in High
School in the spring of 1967 working days on Sat and Sun and any extra and
relief work needed.
All stock cars by this time period were bedded with sand. Non skid and animals
will not eat it. We did not clean cars at Montgomery just sent them out with
the bedding the same as arrival. Pens in the barns were bedded with straw and
all Cattle were fed Hay while the sheep got alfalfa pellets and corn. The
latter two commodies were stored in the large concrete grain elevator. Hay was
stored in a barn east of the chutes and a little north of the office. It was my
job on weekends to make sure there was hay on the racks for feeding. We had an
old blue dumptruck which we hauled most things in. An other truck had a mixing
bed with auger for mixing the corn and pellets and augering it into the feed
bunkers for the sheep. A small Ford tractor with end loader was used to move
dead animals and dig out the pens. The fertilizer was moved to an area of large
concrete floors north of the barns where it sat and aged before loading into
gons for the movement to the strip mines in Southern Ill. At one time it was
used on the farm ground which the RR had to raise feed for the incoming
livestock.
Stink is a matter of opinion. A lot of industrial plants smell bad too. I have
worked in Hog Confinement houses which smell better then some Toliets.
sjh