Re: [BRHSlist] Enlightment please

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Enlightment please
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@a...>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:27:43 -0600
In the late sixties I went over to the stock pens at Clyde Yard (Cicero) to
measure and photograph the SM-16 stockcars.
Yes, the aroma was rather pungent, even cars that had been "cleaned". I
don't know this for a fact, but I imagine the urban stock pens had their
manure piles loaded into open gons and taken to places like Mongomery, IL
where the Q had stock pens and enough real estate to have large manure
piles. I don't know what they would do with the manure if and when the
piles got so large they couldn't handle any more, but knowing that farmers
value manure I wouldn't be surprised that the Q, as frugal as it was, would
charge to have the farmers haul it away! I wonder if the former Mongomery
stockpen is an EPA Superfund Site with the hundred plus years of
accumulation of cow, sheep and pig manure?
Charlie