Re: [BRHSlist] Joint Line.

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Joint Line.
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 08:24:43 -0600
Karl,

Well I don't know. I dispatched Denver to Pueblo and
Pueblo to LaJunta for two years. Don't think I heard
that expression more than once or twice and that was
from a BN Trainmaster at Denver who had somehow
gotten Big Lift and Colorado Springs added to his
territory. UP, former SP/D&RGW Dispatchers did not
use it. The AT&SF Dispatcher that taught me the job,
(he had dispatched it from LaJunta), never used the term.

As far as the Operating Department down here and
especially the Coal Department is concerned the "Joint
Line" is the Orin Line. There are days when down at the
South end the UP volume is greater than that of the BNSF.

I wonder who wrote Leo's strange trade publication article?
Right now the only regular traffic North of Denver is a daily
DENLAU and a on or off CASDEN. Sometimes they run the
sulfur empties for Bonneville this way but the loads go via
Sterling. As far as I know the Air Force Base at Cheyenne
still restricts traffic to certain windows so the movements
sort of have to pivot around their security needs.

Leo mentioned a theoretical goal of coming into LaJunta
from the North. Do not see the point of this at all. I doubt
the UP would want to use it if they did not control it and
that would be a lot of expense for maybe five or six trains
a day.

Dispatching Dodge City to Belen right now and I still can't
see it any differently. The current rumor, of course, is
that most or all of the AT&SF West of either Dodge City
or LaJunta will be spun off to a shortline but that stuff is
usually just talk. Supposedly Amtrak does not want to
agree to any change like that but time will tell.

Russ