Re: [BRHSlist] CBQ donating land for US-based WWII POW camps?

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CBQ donating land for US-based WWII POW camps?
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 07:53:31 -0700
>>> The reason was that the POW's and US personel would be
hauled in and out by train, i.e. revenue.
John D. Mitchell, Jr. <<<

. . . as would the original building supplies, as well as food, clothing, etc.
- it would, in effect, add a new small city to the route.

It also meant that previously undeveloped land would be available to a new user
in a more shipper-intensive form after the war.

There was a point in the original post which puzzled me:

>> The government declined the railroad's offer, based on guidelines in place
>> at the time for locating internment camps that said facilities to house POWs
>> should not be located in areas with a
mean annual temperature of less than 56 degress Fahrenheit, citing savings in
construction and heating costs gained by placing camps in more moderate
climates. (DRURY) <<

This regulation must have been changed, because I grew up in SE Iowa with the
knowledge that there had been a substantial POW camp somewhere in Iowa, and
recall having met a couple of ex-POWs who opted to stay after the war . . .

I can't recall off-hand where the camp was located, however.

Marshall Thayer

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor