CBQ donating land for US-based WWII POW camps?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: CBQ donating land for US-based WWII POW camps?
From: "dwfiedler" <David.Fiedler@L...>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:34:27 -0000
Hi everybody:

I am writing a book about the World War II era prisoner of war camps
in Missouri. As you may know, about half a million Axis soldiers
captured in fighting overseas were sent to the US, and approximately
15-18,000 Germans and Italians ended up in Missouri. How is this
involves the Chicago Burlington & Quincy is that I have come across
the following information in the course of my research:

-------------------

During the government's review of potential sites for locating
new
prisoner of war camps in the Midwest, the Chicago, Burlington &
Quincy Railroad offered land for a camp at several possible
locations, including Maryville, Missouri, and Centerville, Iowa. The
government declined the railroad's offer, based on guidelines in
place at the time for locating internment camps that said facilities
to house POWs should not be located in areas with a mean annual
temperature of less than 56 degress Fahrenheit, citing savings in
construction and heating costs gained by placing camps in more
moderate climates. (DRURY)

Do you have any idea why the CBQ would make such an offer to the
government, and/or if there are any historical resources that might
address this activity that I should check with?

Thanks for your help, and best regards-

David Fiedler
St Louis, Mo
314/956-7353