Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Sleeper

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Sleeper
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:35:43 -0700
>> Marshall, It seams that Linona Lake was leased back to Pullman in 1948 and
was not scrapped until 63. Would the letter board read Pullman or Burlington
with Pullman at each end in small letters. The car had two different road
numbers but that was probably after the expiration of the pullman lease. <<

The only clue *I* have is the precedent of the FW&D's "Wadena", as shown in
Mike Spoor's "Color Guide" - Its leaseback history is similar to Linona Lake
(leased in '48; back for scrapping in '62) - and it's shown in '63 with Pullman
(only) in the letterboard, and "Wadena" under the belt-rail . . . just as if
the FW&D never had anything to do with it. The catch is that it's in aluminum
paint with zephyr gothic lettering - so, to know for sure what Linona Lake
looked like in (say) 1958 would be to find a photo with "June 1958" scribbled
on the back. The one thing Mike's book seems to say, in the heavyweight
section, you won't *believe* the variety <sigh>.

I'll cross my fingers that you don't have to do the "shadowline silver" . . .

Marshall