RE: [BRHSlist] Burlington Sleeper

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Burlington Sleeper
From: "Bob's Engine House" <bobsenginehouse@m...>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 21:50:32 -0500
Thanks Marshall

-----Original Message-----
From: Marshall Thayer [mailto:zephyr9903@e...]
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2002 1:02 PM
To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com

>> I would like some help to find out more information on a 10-1-1 sleeper
name series would be Carter Lake, Linoma Lake, etc. I would like to know
information on the car circa late 50's. <<

Hi, Bob -

Here is what I can throw together from a few references at hand: The "Lake"
sleepers were part of the 80th anniversary refit of the Black Hawk and
Aristocrat trains in 1930 & were to Pullman's Plan 3973A.

The two cars you referenced were among the cars transferred to Q ownership
in the Pullman divestiture, but C&S received Lariat Crest (former Gull Lake)
and FW&D got Lariat Range (previous ID unknown to me). What became of the
other four 1930 10-1-1s, I don't know, but my reproduction of a CB&Q 1957-58
passenger diagram book no longer shows the Lakes or the Lariats, indicating
that they were out of CB&Q revenue service by that time. On the other hand,
the Q's 1948 acquisition of cars from Pullman is complicated by the fact
that many of the acquired cars were then leased *back* to Pullman to operate
(at which point they weren't carried on the active CB&Q/FW&D/C&S rosters).

The eight 1930 10-1-1s as listed by Bill Glick are:

Bass Lake, Rice Lake (for Black Hawk service); Carter Lake, Chasm Lake, Gull
Lake, Linoma Lake, Poudre lake, and Prior Lake (for the Aristocrat).

Marshall Thayer