Re: XM-3A Boxcars

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: XM-3A Boxcars
From: "John and Sally Gillies" <gillies@w...>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:12:27 +1000
On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 14:04:48 -0000 Tom Mack asked ..

Does anyone know what color the XM-3A Boxcars (47100-47499) built in
1963 were painted? The picture in Spoor's Freight Car Color guide
looks like the car might have been a brown (mineral red?) color, but
the car is badly weathered. The original run XM-3 pictured at the top
of the same page as the XM-3A was definitely chinese red, but I can't
tell for the XM-3A in the bottom photo. It also appears that some
other late model boxcars such as the XM-4's 47790-47999 and XM-4B
boxcars 49000-49399 might also have been painted a brown color.
Anyone know anything about these as well?

To which Russ Strodtz advised on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:25:12 -0500 that ..

>From an old man's memory I'd have to say that all those groups
were painted Chinese Red when built.

This prompts me to ask if anyone else has wondered how to letter these
Chinese Red box cars with their white "italic" HYDRAULIC CUSHIONING
lettering and their later relatives with the white upright HYDRAULIC
CUSHIONING lettering in HO scale? I haven't been able to find a source, but
I might be missing an obvious source. Any help greatly appreciated.

John Gillies
Canberra, Australia