Re: [BRHSlist] XM-3A Boxcars

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] XM-3A Boxcars
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@e...>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:25:12 -0500
Tom,

>From an old mans memory I'd have to say that all those groups
were painted Chinese Red when built.

BTW, those nifty looking grain doors turned out to be nothing but
trouble and by the mid 70's were all welded shut. Why?

For one, there was very little demand. Destination elevators did
not like plug door cars anyway and if they used a car dumper they
would not fit.

For two, those doors came unlatched easily and they would swing
in the breeze.

La Crosse Milling had one customer that those cars were suited for,
(mixed bag and bulk), and every integral grain door car that I got
I checked so that I could squirrel it away but I never found one.

Russ