Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington respect

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington respect
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:57:13 EDT
John: RE Louis Menk

I think that you are right re Menk. I remember seeing an article in the
Chicago Tribune after Menk had been president for a while. One of his
comments in an interview was "we're getting rid of that creaky old railroad
look"....I couldn't help but think at the time I saw the article...probably
in the early 1970's of the "outer offices" in the general office building at
547 W. Jackson. These offices all had the "fences" around them and a gate
where the chief clerk stood guard allowing no one to enter except by his
bidding.

I used to go to Chicago with my grandfather, Pete Hedgpeth in the 1940''s and
early 50's. He knew all of the Q officers from Murphy right on down. He
would burst right through the "gate" and go into the "inner sanctum"..Murphy,
Fee, Sperry, Capron, Battey..whoever followed by the Chief Clerk yelling "you
can't go in there".

When we got in the "big guy" would say..."Hey Pete come on in here"....

It was an exciting experience for an 8-12 year old boy.

J. Pete Hedgpeth