Re: [BRHSlist] Western Ave

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Western Ave
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@p...>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:31:26 -0500
Ted,

The fill is wide enough for two tracks. I do not know
if any material was removed from Trempealeau
Mountain for that project. You may be looking at
evidence from the original construction. From
the Northwest corner of Termpealeau Mountain to
Winona Jct it was/is all fill. Before the Railroads
came there was no usable land there at all.

The C&NW stayed up against the bluff, the GB&W
built out towards the river on fill. The CB&Q built
in a generally straight line.

A little over 10'000 of the original Eastward track is
still there. It is configured as a siding and from a
Dispatching standpoint is just about useless. Every
Manager that comes to La Crosse proposes connecting
the siding with the Eastward track at MP 323.65 but
it just never seems to get approved. That would be a
cheap first step, putting in a second track from East
Winona to Winona Jct would be more expensive but
would require very little, if any, fill work. You would
lose the road but since almost all of the line along the
river has no access road this would be a minor issue.

You can drive all the way in from the former C&NW
crossing to MP 323.65. Have done it dozens of times
myself.

After Mr. Murphy retired the CB&Q was plagued with
weak leadership. The money was there but it was not
spent. Track conditions went downhill all over the
Railroad.

Russ