Walthers Budd Passenger Cars Interior Lighting Kits

To: "'BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com'" <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Walthers Budd Passenger Cars Interior Lighting Kits
From: "Myers, Scott V." <svmyers@s...>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 07:31:38 -0500
I'm wondering if others have had the same problems I have experienced with
the installation of these interior lighting kits. I find that after
installation, it appears that the items mounted on the circuit board stick
up above the light bar and hit the roof. With the roof still removed, the
lights work fine. However, when the roof is pressed down to fully snap back
into place, the lights no longer work. I have to assume this is because the
contacts on the car no longer are touching the contacts on the circuit
board. I have had this problem on both cars upon which I have completed
this installation. I see there is a "rib" on the underside of the roof in
this area that has the tabs for mounting the roof on each end of it. I
wonder if the solution may be to cut out or grind down the center of this
rib to the point where it no longer extends downward from the roof and
apparently hits the components on the circuit board of the lighting kit.
Has anyone else encountered this same problem, and if so, how did you
resolve it?

Also, for the 73' baggage car, the directions for the lighting kit have you
remove two sections of the light bar in illustrations B and C of the
directions. However, when I removed the 1/8" section in illustration B, and
screwed the circuit board back to the bar using the indicated hole, the
assembly was now too short for the car and a large gap occurred between the
contacts on the car and those on the circuit board. I ended up gluing this
end of the light bar back to the rest of the bar, removing a section off the
circuit board end of the bar (that would have extended under the circuit
board if left intact), and drilling a new hole in the bar for attaching the
circuit board that allowed the contacts to touch. Have others of you
experienced this same problem for the 73' cars?

Scott Myers