North Aurora

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: North Aurora
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 22:18:32 EDT
The pit at North Aurora was Conkeys Or Conco Western (somebody help me out
here). It was a limestone pit. They shipped out hoppers of various grades of
chipped stone. I believe the company is still there as Conco Western.
I never saw the steam engines but as a kid recall mtys sitting between the
main and Rte 25 ready to go in. I think somewhere in my archives is a train
list of the Irish Mail w/cars coming out of Conkeys.
Also do know for sure that as the pit played out a ready mix operation set up
there. I want to say I recall a car of cement spotted for the ready mix
plant.
I'll go out on limb and say trk came out in very early 70's.
Some of the other old Aurora Div guys chime in hear but I also recall cars
of gravel coming out of Sheridan going to the ready mix plant in the old
Conkeys pit. Right?
Leo