Aurora Branch Industries

To: brHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Aurora Branch Industries
From: William Barber <clipperw@E...>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 09:57:07 -0500
There have been several recent notes about operations and industries between Aurora and West Chicago. Back around 1956-1957, my dad and I were driving along route 25 paralleling the Aurora branch. It was a weekend or a holiday. We came upon a gravel quarry operation on the east side of the road. It had a rail connection to the branch which crossed route 25. In the quarry, which appeared to be a relatively small operation digging out the side of a hill, not a deep pit, were three or four 0-4-0 tank steam locomotives. They appeared to be ready to go and even had wood and paper on the grates for a fire.

Does anyone on the list have any information about this operation.
1. What was the name of the company?
2. How long was it there?
3. When did it go out of business?
4. When did the steam locomotives disappear?
5. Did they ever operate with internal combustion locomotives?
6. Did the Q switch them or did they set cars out on a siding for Q pick up?
7. Where was the material they dug, shipped?