Re: [BRHSlist] Chicago Commuter Questions

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Chicago Commuter Questions
From: "Marshall Thayer" <zephyr9903@e...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:01:10 -0700
From: emdsdp45
To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 8:52 AM
Subject: [BRHSlist] Chicago Commuter Questions

First of all, welcome to BRHSlist -
For your Q#4:

4. Did the bi-levels ever "stray" away from Chicago? BN (BNSF?) has
wandered these away from Chicago if my memory is clear.

During Harry Murphy's presidency (1949-65), the Q became very active in
fan-tripping, and would sometimes use the bi-levels because of the high seating
density. While the bulk of these trips involved steam (mostly 4960), I know of
at least one instance when diesels were used - a mid-50's railroad festival in
Burlington, when the bilevels were used to give tours of the West Burlington
engine facility.

In addition, 4960's last revenue trip (July '66) was mostly bi-levels . . .

Does this help any?

Marshall Thayer

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor