Re: [BRHSlist] No Bills

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] No Bills
From: "Russell Strodtz" <vlbg@p...>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 13:59:42 -0500
John,

In some ways things have gotten better, in some ways
worse. Right now is most common problem with
"floaters" is in the plastic pellet business. Solution
for that is making them lease a track at the location
where they want to hold for billing. That makes the
whole deal go much smoother. EDI seems to fail
a lot because the customers do not understand what
information is necessary. Hopefully the move to
Internet based billing will be an educational one.

The Grain Dept is doing great. Since these are all
contract rates or COTS the RR already know where
the cars are going. The whole point of this system is
to get the maximum car utilization. The shuttle trains
have 12 hours free time with the day divided up by the
sixes. So if you spot a train at 10:00 you can call a
midnight crew to get the loads/empties. Many times
power is left at the elevator or just used to get the crew
to and from their tieup point.

Lumber business has improved a great deal. Will all the
reload centers available the cars get turned around quickly
and if the stuff isn't sold it doesn't matter 'cause it's on the
ground or inside a warehouse.

I think we are going to see a punitive system set up to get
rid of both loads and empties that are holding for billing.
Even with all the job cuts in this long downspin in revenue
they seem to be willing to fund more Demurrage Analyst
positions.

Russ