No Bills

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: No Bills
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 21:48:02 EDT
Remember back in the paper waybill days all the no bill cars because the
paperwork got seperated from the car?

Well today despite EDI,scanners, tags,etc,etc the no bills are still with us.
I dont hear them called that any more but today for example I received 3
calls from the BNSF operations center about helping with cars with unknowm
destinations. One call was for seven cars and another 5.
Half or more of these cars are consistently tied to interline moves where the
computers between carriers somehow drop the billing. Had 3 of those at Omaha
today alone moving from U.P. to BNSF.
The other major cause is when the EDI magic from shipper to RR doesn't quite
work. The shipper electronically sends billing to the carrier whose computer
confirms acceptance and correctness. The car gets pulled and then the RR
doesn't know what to do with the car? Often times this results in the car
coming back to shipper as the computer or a human grabs the last record in
the box.
Our shop in Cleveland,Tx has had that happen 5 times in July. Cars come
in,get repaired,leave and then a couple days later they're back!
The more things change...........
Leo