Re: [BRHSlist] Denver landmarks

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Denver landmarks
From: "Stephen Levine" <sjl@p...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 22:01:02 -0500
The bridge over I-25 runs (or ran) next to Evans Avenue. It carried a branch
that used to end at Holly Street and was once the mainline of the Denver and
New Orleans (later Denver, Texas and Gulf). This line was abandoned after the
DT&G became part of the Colorado and Southern. The line used to go through
Elbert, Colorado, and I remember stories by the campfire at the Jewish
Community Center's J Bar Double C Ranch camp about the great days of Elbert and
when it had a railroad.

When I was a kid, the branch line to Holly was still in use and we would
occasionally see a switch engine on it from the playground of nearby Ellis
Elementary School.

In the mid-eighties, I walked the line right after it was torn up and recovered
a spike from it, a reminder of my childhood years.

sjl

Stephen and Linda Levine
steveandlindaare@c...
If trains were just for kids...we wouldn't wanna grow up!