Burlington Bands

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Burlington Bands
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@i...>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 20:19:11 +1200
I trust that the budding bandsmen will not only sound as sweet as their
predecessors but will also display the same sartorial elegance as the bands of
old.

Loking at the photos of the Plattsmouth and Burlington shop bands (Bulletins
#16 page 41 and #26 pages 52 & 88), the minimum requirements would be a uniform
style of shirt or jacket, and identical headwear. (The style of hat has changed
with the times, from straw boaters in 1882 to conductors caps in 1930. Perhaps
baseball caps with an appropriate herald on the crown would suit the modern
image.) Moustaches would be advantageous, mutton-chop whiskers and a full beard
would be even better.

The band should have a base drum with a Burlington Route herald on the face,
and a banner on a pole displaying the band's identity. And talking of which, I
think we should offer some suggestions for a suitable name. How about
"Burlington Band-Its", or "Burlington Brasshats" if brass affectionados are
participating?

I guess if the sounds emanating from the musicians are not very sweet, the cry
might be "Anywhere West of here"!

Rupert
(3rd triangle)