RE: [BRHSlist] Lettering styles/fonts

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [BRHSlist] Lettering styles/fonts
From: "Charlie Vlk" <charlie@k...>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:39:03 -0500
Early renderings of the Pioneer Zephyr show Railroad Roman lettering (and a
boiler tube pilot!!). By the time the train was built it received the Budd
Zephyr Font.....
I am not sure that it was developed for the Zephyr. Paul Cret may have had
something to do with it. The style and placement of corrugations changed
from the original renderings as well but I don't know if this was due to
design considerations or simple production convenience. Chevrolet trucks
have had the same style lettering on their tailgates for some years, but
this may be an artifact of the tailgates being supplied by Budd (a big auto
parts manufacturer) or just coincidence.
Be careful with the font, it did vary between railroads. I traced and inked
the original Burlington version of the Budd drawings (filling in some
missing letters of the alphabet.... like the AE from Aeolus and some more
common ones that were strangely lacking and not necessarily ones that could
be easily extrapolated from others, either).
Charlie Vlk