Re: Hot Boxes

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Hot Boxes
From: "liljop" <wulrich@a...>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 15:25:25 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@y..., qutlx1@a... wrote:
> Ok,here's another true story

> Headed out the west end up to Lee
> where we found a 'J' gon w/a burned off journal resting comfortably
directly
> on top of the detector sensors(no I'm not exagerating one bit).

> Leo

leo,

now that is funny, great tale. ah technology, in the 50's/60's the
hot box detector east of the burlington bridge, illionis side, on the
west bound main would stop most passenger trains, picked up the steam
leaks, but allowed a blazers to dragged by and out onto the bridge, a
wooden bridge.

if journal, from a hot box, was in bad enough shape, after the fire
was out of course, the fixed signal had to ride said car to a set out
location. to watch and mostly listen to the bad journal. well at
least it blew the stink off of him. <grin>

warren