#5632 O-5 4-8-4: Ever Burn Coal ?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: #5632 O-5 4-8-4: Ever Burn Coal ?
From: "bill_og" <haywarb@b...>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2002 18:44:39 -0000
I have read that CB&Q #5632 was an oil burner during its steam
excursion days. Was this locomotive ever a coal burner ?

I looked up the 4-8-4 O-5 locos last night in Corbin's book "Steam
Locomotives of the Burlington Route". Although it is stated that
some of the O-5 locos were converted to oil, the roster does not
state the fuel status.

The Colorado RR Museum's website states that their CB&Q #5629 was
converted to an oil burner about 1950, so I assume that it was built
as a coal burner. Is this a correct assumption ?

Does anyone know if the other preserved O-5's were coal burners or
converted oil burners (or built as oil burners) ? #5614 (St. Joe,
MO), #5631 (Sheridan, WY), and #5633 Douglas, WY) are the other O-5
locos.

Were any O-5 locos originally built as oil burners ?

The reason that I ask is that 3rd Rail's photo (web site stated in
a coal tender. Even if the #5632 never burned coal, it is still a
very impressive looking model for those of us starved for CB&Q steam
in O-scale/O-gauge.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Bill H.