Hot Boxes

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Hot Boxes
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:37:44 EST
While I'm on a roll here's another true tale from the "old days".
Ordered on #97 out of Cicero one morning and working as the head brakeman
after tying the "motors" on I walked back a few cars to make sure the ever
present hand brake was knocked off (depature yard rolled eastward if not
secured).
While on my jaunt I just took a notion to carry along a packing hook to
"inspect" a few bearings as I went(no this wasnt in a brakemans' job
description and as you will learn it was none too appreciated in some
circles). I happened upon an S.P. plug door box about 8 cars back headed
west w/a load. Upon lifting the journal box lids I noticed one box w/what
seemed in my non mechanical dept mind to be very little oil. So I went
looking for the car "knockers" that would be around somewhere along the train
for the yard air test. I found 2 of the guys back about 20 cars or so waiting
for the foreman to commence the test. I asked them to look at the journal on
the S.P. car.They walked up w/me and ruled that it was just fine and
commented on a brakeman minding his own duties.

I went back on the engine and minded my own business until much later while
flying thru Oregon the agent advised that there was an S.P. plug door box 8
back from the engine running hot! I commented to the hogger and road foreman
P Ritli that was the same car I had pointed out to the car forces In Cicero
as being low on oil! We stopped above the sand plant to confirm the agents
report. Went up to Statrford and set the car out on the back trk,doused the
journal with a fire extinguisher,water, pulled the packing and went on to SV.
Paul wanted to know if I had really pointed this car out in HY and I said yes
absolutely.
The balance of the westbound trip was uneventful and so was the eastbound
one. Next day after having gotten home sometime in the early A.M. I was
awoken by the phone at 8:00 AM by the voice of Paul Ritli asking if I had
gotten the names of the carmen in Cicero when I asked them to look at the
car? No Paul sorry I didnt think about that but they looked like such and
such.

The result was that from that day forward until friction bearings were gone
the inspectors in HY had to initial the car above each bearing that they had
inspected!
P.S. its 91 miles from Cicero to Oregon,IL.
Leo
Yes, on scouts' honor its all true !