Re: [BRHSlist] Diesel Engine Question

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Diesel Engine Question
From: GORDON SMITH <kc2bw@a...>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 08:44:27 -0500
Well I've read most of the replys to this.Some of the reasons were quite
valid. Freeze protection, cheap fuel, poor battery maintenance. The most
damage done to a prime mover is done during start up. So they are left
running to prevent this weare and tear. Just like your cars engine there
is no oil pumped up into the system. It takes a while for a large diesel
engine to build up pressure, sometimes close to 90 seconds, and its
during this time that most wear occurs. Now as for blowing out the
cylinders, I've done this many times, and it doesn't take that long to
do it. I do it in less than 10 mins. on a 20 cylinder. So as far as I am
concerned it doesn't cost anything to protect a cold prime mover from
suffering a bent rod from a hydraulic lock up. And it really only had to
be done to an engine that had been shut down and cooled off for a while.
That is when leakage from the water jackets can occur, after the heat
expanded metal has contracted. If it is still warm, all you need to do
is jog the start switch for a revolution or so to check for binding.

Hope this helps

Gordon