Re: [BRHSlist] Diesel Engine Question

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Diesel Engine Question
From: "VLBG" <VLBG@s...>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 13:15:25 -0600
Bob,

You have the right idea. Before restarting any 30's thru 70's era
Diesel you have to open a drain valve on each cylinder and crank
the engine over a few times to purge any possible water that has
condensed inside. This is not a option but an absolute requirement.

To a shortline or industry with one unit that they just use for a few
hours each day this is no big deal compared to the fuel and noise
savings. Adds maybe 10" or 15" to the process.

On a larger road with different ways of allocating labor costs and
uncertain battery maintenance the situation is not the same. Usually
it means just leave them run. More modern units have sensors that
address the condensation issue.

There are a fair number of units now that even have Auto Shutdown
and Start aftermarket devices installed. They run when they need to
run and shut down when not used. This is the way to go for fuel
savings but of course these things cost money and they also force the
RR to keep up with battery maintenance. It is sort of cool to get on
a dead engine that will start right up just by moving the reverser.
Center the reverser and in about 10" it just shuts down again.

Russ