Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Round Houses

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Round Houses
From: "William Allen" <tarfu64@h...>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:57:53 -0600
Bcc:
Yes it has happened, my great-grandfather was hostler for the M&StL in Monmouth, IL and put a then new 600 class Mike through the wall.

Bill Allen

From: KEN MARTIN <kmartin@c...>
To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BRHSlist] Re: Round Houses
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 18:22:11 -0800

Charlie Vlk wrote:

> MOST roundhouses have segmented back walls. Not to say there were not
> exceptions, but at least later (1880-????) examples with larger industrial
> style back windows had segmented flat walls. Why? Lintels to span the
> window opening were standard steel structural shapes which are straight.
> Earlier houses could have curved masonry walls because a masonry arch over a
> narrow window can be curved with the back radius of the house.
> Charlie Vlk

The back walls of roundhouses are built with flat walls usually with
windows between columns or posts. these walls are not integrated into
the column as a normal wall would be, so that if an engine gets away
while bringing it in it will knock the wall out and not bring the
roundhouse roof down. It has happened, I have seen a picture of an SP
engine sticking out the back of the San Jose,CA roundhouse.

Ken Martin